Canker sores are small painful lumps that can grow on the lips or inside the mouth. These tiny swellings contain a mixture of WBCs (white blood cells) and bacteria, and some other fluids and look like white-yellowish cysts with a red border. Anyone with canker sores can feel embarrassed, especially if they are dating, and might think of bursting them. In reality, can you pop or cut off a canker sore? No, you may try to be harsh with it but popping canker sores can be extremely painful. These sores are not just simple blisters or pimples, rather they are wounds and should not be disturbed with force.
How Do Canker Sores Look Like?
In the beginning, canker sores can appear as tiny red dots and can grow up to the size of a quarter. When canker sores are forming, you will feel immense irritation and burning sensation inside your lips, under the tongue, or inside of the cheeks. Canker sores can also develop on the back roof of your mouth and the base of the gums. There are three types of canker sores: minor sores, major sores, and the least common, Herpetiform sores.
What Causes Painful Sores?
The main causes of canker sore formation are:
- Poor Oral Hygiene: Brushing and flossing regularly keeps your teeth clean and kills harmful bacteria. Not doing so can deteriorate your oral health and make you prone to diseases.
- Oral Injuries: sports injuries, brushing your teeth vigorously, cuts from braces, and dentures can also cause canker sores.
- Food Allergies: Eating spicy and acidic foods, tea, coffee, berries, eggs, cheese, nuts can cause allergic reactions and form sores.
- Toothpaste and Mouth rise: Both containing sodium lauryl sulfate can be the reason behind canker sores in some people.
Are Canker Sores Contagious
As compared to cold sores, canker sores are noncontagious inflammations. Canker sores are not contagious and don’t spread by kissing the affected person or using their food, drinks, or utensils.
How Can I Get Rid Of A Canker Sore Overnight?
It is impossible to get rid of canker sores overnight or even within 24 hours. Typically less severe canker sores get better on their own and last for around eight to ten days. However, major sores can be excruciating, and you may need medical help. Your doctors might prescribe some over-the-counter medication such as Ibuprofen, along with mouth rinse.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Canker Sores Fast
These natural remedies can accelerate the recovery process and reduce inflammation.
- Eat a salad with a good amount of raw onions
- Chamomile tea contains anti-inflammatory properties that can help soothe discomfort caused by canker sores
- Use sodium lauryl sulfate-free mouth wash and toothpaste
- Sucking on ice chips can also help alleviate pain and discomfort
- Use salty warm water to rinse your mouth a few times every day
Canker sores occur naturally and go away by following simple home remedies. If you have a minor canker sore, don’t pop it. Follow simple home remedies to relieve pain and discomfort. If the condition is severe, get help from your doctor. Schedule an appointment with Pearland Family Dentistry at 832-649-7344.