If you have a cracked tooth, decayed tooth, or you simply want to close the gap between your teeth, dental bonding is one of your best alternatives. The procedure does not require a lot of planning/preparation and it is not painful, so anesthesia is often never required. Learn more about dental bonding below:
The process involves bonding a tooth-colored plastic material (a resin) to the affected tooth and hardening the material under UV light. First, to help the resin stick, the tooth is roughened and coated with a conditioning liquid. Afterward, the resin (in a soft and sticky form) is molded to the tooth and smoothed out. Ultraviolet light is used to solidify the resin and the surface of the bonded tooth is polished until it becomes uniform. The entire process takes between 45 to 60 minutes.
Advantages of dental bonding
- Dental bonding is one of the simplest and most affordable dental procedures.
- Only a little amount of enamel needs to be removed.
- The bonded tooth can last from 3 to 10 years depending on usage.
- The entire procedure can be done during one visit to the dentist and it is almost always painless.
- Even though the resin is stain-resistant, it is not entirely impervious to staining.
- Bonding is seen as only a temporary treatment, and it is ideal mostly for teeth in areas with low biting pressure, e.g. the incisors.
If you are looking to fix your smile quickly and without going above budget, then bonding is a good alternative. If you live around Houston, don’t hesitate to reach out to Pearland Family Dentistry to discuss your needs . For inquiries, call us at 832-649-7344.